Saturday, February 2, 2008

Prologue: The pre-pandemonium.

It's been a while since I've spent some time here, in Dryden. But just as before I can find the same familiar faces in the same familiar places. It's been nice to relax for the last little while, especially after such an epic journey through Turkey. In the meantime I have been making some extra cash cleaning out the basement and putting up trim throughout the house.

Rummaging through old boxes of hidden middle school treasures I came across trinkets, pictures, love letters, and stories lost to the pubescent awkwardness of growing up. It's a funny thing that love is so easy to declare at such a young age, it's later in life, when we're really in love, that owning up to it becomes so difficult and managing it so hard to navigate. I threw the old love letters away alongside the flashy toys and gameboys of a generation weaned from intimacy to electronics. I moved then to other things: bedding, lumber, golf clubs, the inane collections of objects that generation upon generation has amassed in the depths of cellar storage.

It has been nice to reminisce and relive the simple times of high school and before, but it's also nice to dream of the life I have ahead. I've been burying myself in the preparation, packing and paperwork of the Peace Corps in order to keep myself thinking of the future and not getting too caught up in the happenings of the past. I have just over two weeks before I leave for Madagascar and I'm really excited for it. The second guessing and cold feet have subsided and the security and excitement have settled in. I'd love for everyone to keep in touch and thought that a blog might be easiest. You can subscribe to it to keep up-to-date and if you don't find it until later, then you can catch up by reading old posts. I can also add pictures much more easily. Also, this is the address that I'll have until I get my assignment (sometime in May). Feel free to send letters, gifts, etc. They say that boxes having a hard time getting to their final destination and that envelopes tend to make it much faster and more easily.

MARSHALL MCCORMICK, PCV
BUREAU DU CORPS DE LA PAIX
BP 12091
POSTE ZOOM ANKORONDRANO
ANTANANARIVO 101
MADAGASCAR

Well, I'm off. I'm going to a show at a cafe just outside of Dryden. The artist is a woman that I went to high school with, Maddy Walsh. I guess it's not so easy leaving things behind after all.

Take Care,
Marshall

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marsh!

I am so excited for you and your upcoming adventure. I can not begin to tell you about all you will experience, just remember it will be both amazing and draining. I know you will do wonderful things and I can't wait to read all about them. Know there's someone in the states that understands what you're going through and will help you in whatever way needed. Don't forget to send me lists of items you want me to send, I know how exciting mail day is! I miss you already, Marsh. Good luck!

Tiff

Anonymous said...

Hello Dearest Son,

I am writing to make sure that I can use this blog...hoping to visit you in Jan. 2009....anyone want to travel with me?

Your Most Loving Momma

somacentered said...

I do! I'm already saving for it. Marshall, thank you for starting this. I really am so excited for you and cannot wait to read more as you go. This cyber communication will have to do until I see you in Madagascar. Lovelovelove.

Anonymous said...

Hey Marshall! Looking forward to your blog! I have subscribed to it. I too have a new one... www.kat-adams.com and think it will be more active when I finally live back in Nicaragua.

Susan...man, I wish I could say YES! but not sure at this point! Will be living quite humbly so it would take an act of a small miracle for me to get the flight money or FF miles!

Kathy

Ann C. said...

Marshall,
It's so exciting as you and Dan once again go on more adventures...though in separate African countries. I know you both continue to make the world a better place. The people there will love you.
I'm hoping to see Dan in the summer of 2009, figuring it will take that long to plan a trip, get visas, and have plenty of time to travel or stay in his village. I'd love to join your mom, but don't think the school district would approve of me taking off in January.
Take care. Journal a lot.
Ann

Anonymous said...

Our Dearest Son is on his way,

We got up at 4 AM this morning, Feb 18, to get Marshall to the Ithaca Airport for his first part of his travels to Washington via NYC. Along with the other volunteers they travel to Madagascar later in the week via South Africa.

We thoroughly enjoyed Marshall's visit with us here in Dryden, NY and send our love with him.

Most Loving Momma

Anonymous said...

I can't even imagine what you are doing and thinking. Just reading your pre-departure reflections gives me goosebumps.
Make your first encounter "Loud and Confusing". Actually, I hope your whole experience is Loud and Confusing :)
Te quiero mucho nene loco
Sonya

Anonymous said...

Marshall--

It is so nice to read your words and through them to hear your voice again. It seems we are all light-years away from Utah now, some of us farther than others, but these distances grow shorter when i think of our times together rather than apart :)

Jennifer has been keeping up with your posts as well and there are swirling notions of a visit to see you in the future... perhaps you could convince us by letting everyone in on the culture and scenery there; give us all the good anthropologist's notations, the bard's musings, and the sensitive soul's impressions of Madagascar! Merci Beaucoup mon ami.

We hope all is well with you when you are reading this. Much love

- James and Jenn