Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Madagascar!

Hello all!

I do not have a lot of time, just enough to say that everything is well. Madagascar is incredible! I live overlooking a valley of rice paddies and read each night by the light of candle. We have no electricity nor running water. I love the family I'm living with and can't imagine things any other way. Madagscar is a beautiful place! Funny thing, the staff at the Peace Corps consider going to Madagascar like winning the Peace Corps lottery, if there were one. And now I understand why. Despite learning Malagasy and Sakalava Menabe, which are more different than I would have thought, things are coming along great.

We've been going through a lot of training, bio-intensive rice farming, gardening, water systems, environmental education, some nutrition sessions and a whole lot of language!! It's tough learning two languages at once, adding on bits and pieces of french at the same time! It's so strange to be here at a computer writing. I think so often of the things that I want to write and the things that I want to tell everyone, but now I'm sitting here, I have the rare opportunity to communicate over the internet and I suddenly have nothing to write.

Things are beautiful, incredible.

Check it out on wikipedia: I'll be going to Belitsaka in Madagascar. It's about 2 hours east of Maintirano... west of the capitol. It's a small town of 1000 or so. The last, and first volunteer at that site left early, so I'll be the first, and I can't wait. I'll have that address in a few weeks. I sent out a few letters, I hope everyone gets them soon. Please send me letters, you can be sure that I'll write back. As for internet in Belistaka, it's non-existant. Maintirano doesn't have it either. So I can expect internet access once every few months. But I'll have a phone, without any service... Yeah, it's strangely normal.

I hope things are well where everyone is... The States, Europe, Mexico, Argentina, The Gambia...!

I can't wait to hear from you all. Until next.

Marshall

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Marshmallow.
Great to hear from you.
I know you would fall in love with Madagascar! I'm so happy you are loving every second, that is all you can do!
Don't forget to send your address when you can, I will send you a fly birthday greeting.
Take Care
Sonya

Anonymous said...

Marshall was able to call home on Sunday morning and he shared his view from his bedroom window from the home of his family he lives with while learning the language and skills needed for his work. There is no electricity or running water, and he was overlooking the rice paddies and cows walking around...I found a site called web shots that had some very nice recent photos of Madagascar. We have sent two packages and are ready to send another, however he has not received any of them yet. I am still hoping to visit sometime in 2009...maybe we can go scuba diving in Nosy Be.

Someone said to me they couldn't wait for their kids to grow up and take them on adventures!!!

Most Loving Momma

Anonymous said...

Hi Marshall,

I just read a couple of your letters, it sounds like you are really enjoying what you are doing, and that is wonderful. Maybe when you return you can tell me how to garden. :) I just came from the hot house and my tomato plants are about 3" high. I have to go down every evening when the sun goes down to put them away from the cold at night. Take care of yourself. We will write to you soon.

Pappy