Tuesday, August 26, 2008

And we’re back…

Back to the simple life, back to knowing everyone you pass on the street, back to full meals for less than a dollar. I've come back to a world much smaller than my previous, much more limited, much more isolated. But it wasn't the isolation from other Americans or even modern amenities that I was concerned about; it was the 20 chickens that the airline wouldn't allow me to bring as carry-on, and forced me to check.

Being out here in the ambanivohisty (the countryside), there is no access to what others take for granted; improved seed varieties and chicken breeds (of course). So I had to bring the chickens from Antananarivo (the capitol). They wanted to sell me 50, but I convinced them to sell me only 20, 10 improved egg layers and 10 improved meat producers. Our plan is to make a mixed breed with country chickens that are easier to care for and less susceptible to diseases.

Thankfully, despite the rough plane ride and one night living in the bathtub, they're doing just fine. They'll be home in two days, and so will I.

As nice as it will be to get back home, our vacation to Isle Saint Marie could not have been better. It's a small island off the east coast of Madagascar where we went bike riding, scuba diving, whale watching, swimming, it was incredible. I even heard that my picture made it into the newspapers; I've yet to see it. I normally would have objected to taking a vacation, therefore keeping me away from my village even longer, but we were stuck in the capitol waiting for one of the infrequent, unreliable flights anyway… I figured I should take advantage of the free time.

To say the least, I'm having a wonderful time here and I can only hope that these stories may be convincing those fence sitters to jump down and come visit.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey marsh,

I'm having a hard time keeping up with you. It sounds so exciting out there. I'm so proud of you!!

Love Dad

Anonymous said...

Yo Marshall,!

I really enjoyed reading your blogs, it has been months since I've last visited the site and your words are quite prolific (they make me imagine myself in your place, which I would be happy to be in for a couple days!)

Thinks have been steady over here in Ithaca. I ended not going to Cali, but am going to school again part time and also interviewing for jobs. I have my second interview this next monday at Miller Mayer LLP (it's supposedly the biggest law in Ithaca.) Music has also taken a bigger role too.

Anyway, keep it real man! Peace.

-Brenton