Sunday, February 22, 2009

Photos

I should have had these here a long time ago... They date back to Feb 2008.
Family Photo: Christmas 2008
Christmas Tree 2008


Post Treeplanting Party Picture


Her name means "sweet"



This is my house. I live in the half closest to you. That solar panel on my roof powers my only way to reach the outside world... a CB Radio.


The gasy guitar still isn't finished (no strings).

His name means "the cause of happiness".

On our way back from the caves... Carrying cow meat (dinner).

Tsingy (the rocks). Bridge.


My name in Malagasy. "mareesalee".


In the caves... People used to live here.


They'll meet in the middle in a few million years.


His name is Tanio. He calls me "salee".


Do you think he's pondering the inner workings of that solar-powered battery charger?


Cows, grazing in the rice fields post harvest.



Dancing and Gasy guitars...


Special ceremonies call for special meals.

Neighborhood Kids


Neighbor Family & Relatives

Language Training Group on the day it all began.

I'll try to update with more in the near future. Please give feedback, I significantly reduced the quality... does that interfere with viewing pleasure? I could try to make them a little bigger. Things are great here. Calm. I'm sorry I didn't send any updates during the political crisis... it's still not over. If you curious google madagascar news.

I send you all my best.

Take Care,

Marshall

5 comments:

Jen said...

These are great! I don't think the lower quality interferes with viewing. If it's much faster to upload that way I would stay stick with that. I would rather see more photos at this quality than fewer photos that might be a little sharper! Keep 'em coming!

Anonymous said...

beautiful pics moam(quality is fine). i'll have some more updated ones of my house soon to send if you're interested. glad to know you are okay; heard through the grapevine about the trouble there. take care!
ckw

Anonymous said...

Love the photos my dear....and Love you too....

Momma

Anonymous said...

After reading your post, I searched for some answers to what you were experiencing that I had no idea about. This may be interesting to some of you reading Marshall's posts:

http://www.knet.co.za/madagascar/The%20People.htm

Can you add to this Marshall?

moamick said...

Thanks James...

That page gives a great general summary of all Malagasy traditions, religions, etc. When it specifies, my region is Sakalava... Sakalava Menabe/Melaky more specifically. As for my region, there are a lot or specifics that I can add, that's why I post the blogs. But I suggest anyone who's curious about Malagasy culture, and Madagascar in general to take a look at this page.

Thanks James!

Marshall