Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Beginning Once More

We left the United States on the 22nd of February, headed for Madagascar. On a plane with 31 other volunteers I sat next to a friendly old Zambian man. We talked for a little while; he recounted his adventures in the States and I told of my plans and excitement for Madagascar. Just before exiting the plane and going our separate ways, the kind old man gave me a 1000 Zambian Kwacha bill. I stuffed the strange play-like money into my pocket, at the time I didn’t realize it was an omen.

The prospect was greeted with excitement and anxiety when the head of our ‘Transition Team’ told me I had been accepted to the Zambian Program ‘Linking Income, Food, and Environment (LIFE)’. It’s a great environment program of which I am pleased to be a part.

We’ll be saying goodbye to our quaint bed and breakfast before the end of the day on Friday. And we’ll join a group that is half-way through their training in Zambia. In all, I will have around 4 weeks of training in the language of Nyanja, a Zulu-like dialect of the Malawian Chichewa language. Then I’ll head to the eastern border, 2 hours from Malawi and a short drive from South Luangwa National Park, “…one of the greatest wildlife sanctuaries in the world.” I will spend a little over one year working with local farmers to introduce sustainable agricultural practices.

It will be no Madagascar, as Madagascar was no Zambia. But with a small symbol of Zambian hospitality in my pocket, I venture into my new life transition and I’m sure I’ll find a Xanadu in Zambia.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

As always Jenn and I wish you the very best: of luck, of love, of journeys, and in finding the truth. Please take care and best wishes for finding a new place with the PC. Do you have a phone # we can contact you at? My email is J2editing@yahoo.com

- James

Anonymous said...

Marshall I think you have the ability to enter every new situation ready to learn whatever lessons you were meant to learn. They will love you there and your world will be expanded even more by it. Wishing you the best.
Warmly,
Ann- Dan's mom

Anonymous said...

Wherever you are, I'm sure you'll bring people together. I look forward to more of your always eloquent dispatches.
--Julia

Anonymous said...

I have been concerned about you with the continuing unrest in Madagascar. I am so glad to have an update. I will share it with the others at TCC, all of whom wish you well.

Anonymous said...

Good luck! Our thoughts are with you and Mike settling into your new homes. It has been fun, and rather comforting, having you around for our "second staging." I can't wait to hear about your new adventures!
-Julia M.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you had to leave Madagascar, but I'm sure you'll be part of something great in Zania, too. Take care, I love hearing from you at our family gatherings! Good luck with everything Marsh.
Miss you :)

-Carrie